THE LATE HON. GEO. H. HENRY

A BRIEF SKETCH OF HIS LIFE AND FINAL ILL-
NESS.

The death of Hon. Geo. H. Henry of the town of Fremont, Winona county, which occurred on the 2d inst., was an event of peculiar sadness. It was known to many of his friends several months ago that he was suffering from some disease of the stomach. His condition became so bad that it was thought best for him to take a trip to the sea shore, which he did about the last of August. After leaving home he failed rapidly and on consulting a distinguished physician of Philadelphia his disease was pronounced cancer of the stomach, and he was advised to return home as soon as possible, as he had but a short time to live. He did return, and on his arrival at Winona he was so feeble that it was feared he would die before he could reach his home. By the kindness of friends in Winona an easy conveyance was provided, and he took the weary trip of twenty-five miles across the country to this home, where lingered in great suffering, but with heroic fortitude until the evening of the 2nd instant when death came to his relief. He retained his consciousness to the last and was fully resigned to his fate, believing that—

“Beyond these chilling winds and gloomy skies—
Beyond death’s cloudy portal—
There is a land where beauty never dies,
Where love becomes immortal.”

Mr. Henry was born in St. Lawrence county, New York, and at the time of his death was fifty-two years of age. He came to Minnesota at an early day and settled in the town of Fremont, where, by his unselfish and upright life and kind and cheerful disposition, he had endeared himself to all the community. He was a member of the State Legislature in 1880 and 1881, where he won the esteem of all who knew him for his honesty and practical good sense. He leaves a wife and seven children—four daughters and three sons. His eldest daughter, Christie, a beautiful and accomplished young lady, died only a few years ago. Mr. Henry was aware that his end was near, and as far back as last June made in writing a list of friends to assist at his burial, and selected a friend to take charge of his funeral. Everything was carried out as nearly as possible as directed. Mr. Henry belonged to and old Scotch family, and was intimately related to most of the many Scotch families of the town of Fremont. His funeral was largely attended. Winona, Rushford, St. Charles, Utica, Lewiston and Stockton were represented in the procession. Fully one hundred carriages followed the hearse from the house to the church. He was buried from the Presbyterian church near his home. A very eloquent and appropriate sermon was delivered by Rev. Mr. Coppse, the pastor.